Em Hall and I presented to a great crowd at Digital Capital Week’s nonprofit day today. Thanks, everybody for turning out — and thanks for the super questions. Check them on Twitter #npskillz.
My favorite, “Focus on brand or issues for NPO social media?”
Humungous thanks to @emilyhaha for the kickoff idea and wisdom as always!
Tools for Nonprofit Social Media #npskillz
First, what are you trying to do?
- Highlight great content
- Get suggestions for new content or features
- Trial balloon content ideas
- Make friends in your business
- Build traffic to your site
Social media by the minute Suggestions for busy people
If you have 2 minutes
- Like (Facebook, Google Reader, Digg, Stumble It)
- Check in on Foursquare
If you have 5 minutes
- Twitter - Tweet
- Facebook wall post
- Add your NPO to Foursquare
- Upload photo to Flickr or Twitpic, etc.
- Thank somebody (RT, email, Follow Friday)
- Comment on a blog post
If you have 30 minutes
- Facebook photo album (or Flickr set)
- Blog post, sharing style
- Upload a Youtube video
- Nonprofit overlay is your friend
- Check Google Alerts
- Add Twitter or Youtube to your Facebook page (Involver)
If you have 60 minutes
- Write a longer blog post
- Make a Twitter list
- Google Analytics
- Facebook Insights
- Bit.ly click-throughs
- Update Wikipedia
- Facebook custom tab
If you have 1 week
- Make a kit iPhone app that features your content
- Build something with the Twitter or Foursquare API
- Build a modest Facebook app
Questions? We've brought some, but we're open to yours
On your mark
- How do I get started with these tools?
- How do I staff social media?
- We've got a blog. Where do posts come from?
How about a blog?
- Why would I use a blog vs Facebook or Twitter?
- What blog tools are available (for free)?
- Wordpress vs wordpress.com
- Your own domain
Facebook vs your brand
- Facebook Pages aka Fan Pages
- A Facebook Community page is trumping my organization’s “Fan” page. Is there anything I can do about that?
- How do I keep up with Facebook's changes?
Photos, videos, etc.
- How should I consider using photos or video?
- How do I keep up with all of these channels?
What goes where?
- What services should we feed together?
- Automate that?
- Add Twitter to my Facebook news feed?