What’s a multi-modal application? One that does phone, web, and perhaps Twitter, etc. One example is TwitterVoteReport, a Rails application that collected reports of waiting time at the polls for the 2008 US election. Produced in 3 weeks by Dave Troy. Input came from telephone, Twitter, SMS.
Here’s how Dave did it:
Open-source Software to do Voice
- Adhearsion Ruby library for easing call handling. Provides a domain language for doing voice in Ruby
- Asterisk actually talks to the phone system
h3. Other Options
- Rhomobile Allows Ruby/HTML application to be deployed natively to iPhone, BlackBerry, Windows Mobile, Symbian, Android. For front end.
- Mozes commercial alternative to phone/SMS/web applications
- Tropo.com hosts Adhearson and Asterisk in the cloud, so less work for you. Also supports languages beyond Ruby.
Jason Goecke @jsgoecke is a partner at Adhearsion.